Translate (翻译)(Traducir)(翻訳する)(übersetzen)( ترجم)(переводить)

⑲Internship and beyond @ Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania, Downtown, Pittsburgh

It all started with a talk about homelessness I attended on November 18, 2011. Like most things in life, you find meanings in-depth when looking back, I now look back and see this talk meant so much to my professional as well as evolving personal development in Pittsburgh, especially in the community development arena. George Moses is the key person to thank to (just so you know, he is the African-American gentleman at the right corner of the picture below. I didn’t know the significance of the picture back then when I hurried to snap something so that I would have a clue for later rumination.).



George said “When we conduct policy advocacy or community outreach, we always put a face in front of money. So people would know we are talking about real people and real life. Then, hopefully, they would care more.” These words just stayed with me. At that moment, I know I will be talking to him and learning more. Then, the rest became the history of my six-month-long internship at Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania and all my life that happened and was triggered by this very small encounter.


Besides the data analysis work I did, connection between the Alliance and Heinz event I facilitated, and all other substance taken away as part of my resume on paper and/or in conversation, the most far reaching impact that this internship experience brought me was those caring and inspiring people I got to know, and the friendships I garnered.




George and I always would pick on each other on the very important issue “Who would open the door and let the other person proceed first”. Of course, he was just being “mean”  because I insisted that I shall open the door and let him proceed first, for he’s more experienced than I am, never giving him a chance to follow the “lady first” western rule.


Joanna Deming was always the nurturing boss, who understood that English is not my native language. Most importantly she believed my good intention to do good work and my capacity to deliver results. I found out from a hard experience that working with/for people who trust you and your capacity can be the most important thing a new professional can get from a new position. Joanna invited me to her lovely new house for an Indian dinner before I finished my internship. That was most kind of her and I would always wish her two lovely boys grow up with abundance in health and happiness.


Then it’s on to the bigger family of “House of Justice”. Bob Damewood initiated a conversation the first day of my work there in February 2012 and then we talked for a while cementing our acquaintance.  Then I found out he and Siew both graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania where I did my exchange study, which led me eventually fall in love with Pittsburgh. Also through our conversation, we found out that Matt’s (my beloved husband) and my situation resembled their situation (Bob's wife is a Malaysian-Chinese) so much so that we immediately developed a bond of friendship.


Bridget has the most cheerful voice I know. She is always happy and energetic. I firmly believe that she shall host a radio show. But I am not sure whether she ever took my comment seriously or not. We occasionally would hang out in the office, in a bar nearby or in Bob and Siew’s house for some good food. She has a “grandma” cat who survived cancer. I am amazed by the bond a person and an animal can develop, even without the reciprocation people would normally expect of each other.


Although I haven’t had enough opportunity to know Irene McLaughlin personally yet, I feel her aura and believe that she is just an awesome character that I can’t find enough English words to describe yet. Being a judge, an attorney, and active community member, she’s super busy but still volunteered a lot of time and expertise for my System synthesis project at Heinz College in the first half of 2013. When my teammates who had chance to work with her also came away amazed by her knowledge and energy, I knew she was capable of impressing many people who come across her trajectory.


Knowing Bob, Bridget, and Irene, three lawyers, and their amiable nature, made me deeply puzzled: why would Americans often dislike lawyers that much? Maybe this all goes back to what Albert Einstein once said “Any fool can know, the point is to understand.”


Then, it’s Frank Hammond. Who walked into the office looking for Ms. Deming one day and out of blue, started to talk about his latest opinion about the correlation between playing golf and a nation's willingness to engage in warfare. Well, the odd thing was that I happened to know the story of Scottish golf zest and their warfare disaster to the English. What’s following are those intellectual conversations and great experience we had and then I found I have a guardian of my professional and personal life here in Pittsburgh. His wife is of Korean origin, came to the U.S. 40 some years ago and they have lived in Pittsburgh enjoying a comfortable life for almost 30 years now.


Last but never to be the least is Diana Smith. She was like a mother caringly asking for the developments in my life and giving away advice while I was going through some very tough times in that half a year. She said “You need to take care of yourself before talking care of other people. Nobody can do it all at once. One thing at a time.” She also said “Be a good girl, mean what you say, and say what you mean.”......All those when landed in me at the right time when I needed the most made such an impact in my attitude moving forward. Oops, almost forgot, Diana loves shoes and she told me the terminology for my favorite high-heels is called “wedge shoes”, which give me the height I need while not compromising the comfort I experience walking with them. So they are practical as well as beautiful.



I don’t mean to make this post  a personal diary. But every time, now and then, when I am in downtown within certain proximity to the Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania office on 710 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1000, I would always have a warm feeling about my life here in Pittsburgh and would then have a very positive outlook for what I am about to do. Because I know somewhere in the City, in an office building that would look common to other people, there are some people who I care for and wish the best for their lives. More so, I know I could stop by without a formal invitation or an appointment. Isn’t this a great thing? Just like you would never need an appointment to go to a house to see your family.


Then I believe, this is something special about Pittsburgh.  For a new comer, you can start something, then you work hard, you build upon it, you nurture it, and then you would earn connection in the network, you would eventually find yourself bumping into familiar faces wherever you go. Then what comes after that is friendship, partnership, and a sense of taking responsibility to share your experience to be a “citizen diplomat” for the places you work, live, and love, very much.


Beer winning trivia @ Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania


1. Housing Alliance of PA (HAP) was founded in 1982 by a determined, visionary group of housing advocates from across the state facing the burgeoning homelessness crisis. The Pennsylvania Low Income Housing Coalition (PALIHC) renamed itself the Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania in 2003 to broaden its base of support while retaining its commitment to low-income people.  Its work includes research, coalition-building, leadership and outreach to win policies that either increase the supply or reduce barriers to the production, rehabilitation, preservation of provision of safe, decent homes for low-income people.  Currently it has three offices across the state of PA, Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. Ms. Liz Hersh is the dedicated Executive Director.


2. In the past two decades. HAP has played a leading role in the following housing policy establishments and accomplishments:

  • Establishment of the Homeowner Mortgage Assistance Program (HEMAP) which has helped over 43,000 homeowners since 1984.
  • Establishment of the County Affordable Housing Trust Fund which has raised about $50M throughout the Commonwealth for housing.
  • TANF for Housing which provided $60M for housing and homeless programs during Governor Ridge’s administration.
  • Low Income Housing Tax Credit Exchange as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which brought $200M to PA creating about 2400 low-priced, quality rental units and produced about 3000 jobs.
  • Research, outreach and advocacy resulting in passage of seven new laws to address blighted and abandoned property between 2004 and 2010.


Your ID @ Downtown, Pittsburgh


1. What’s the shape of the building in front of the HAP’s office on Fifth Avenue? Why is it so narrow? What’s the story behind it?

No comments:

Post a Comment